1、across
1、表方位。
Let’s go to the restaurant across the street and get something to eat.
让我们去街对面的餐馆买些吃的。
2、表动作,穿越。
You must go across the bridge and then turn right.
你必须先过桥,然后再往右拐。
2、age
1、年龄。最一般的表达。在此不赘述。
2、衰老。
the aging people = the old people
现代社会出现越来越严重的aging problem(人口老龄化问题)等。
3、all
1、shake all over 浑身颤抖
2、all of a sudden 突然地
All of a sudden, I remembered her name. 我突然想起了她的名字。
3、by all means 一定
I’ll come by all means. 我一定会来的。
4、all night long 整晚
My present neighbor plays piano all night long. 我现在的邻居整晚都弹钢琴。
4、apply
这里我们详细串联一下在听力考试中涉及到的与求职相关的短语。
apply for(申请),这是工作的第一步;既然要申请,必然需要递交letter of application(求职信),只要你足够confident about yourself,就有可能获得job interview(工作面试)的机会。是否能够give a good impression(留个好印象)给主管,那就得看你个人犄造化了。
有些工作岗位会require much traveling,(要求经常出差)还有些工作,做不了多久就会希望find a way out(找到出路)。
正所谓城里城外,各有风光。没工作的人想工作,有工作的人又烦工作。
5、as
1、作为,当作。
I am working as his teaching assistant. 我作为他的助教进行工作。
2、as…as 就像……一样
I’ve heard that he is as well-known as Johnson herself. 我听说他跟约翰生本人自己一样著名。
I don’t think it would be as boring as working in an office.
我并不认为这会跟在办公室工作一样枯燥。
It wasn’t as easy as I had thought. 这不像我想的那么简单。
It’s not as bad as it looks. 这并不像看上去的那么糟糕。
Is that optional course as hard as everybody says?
那个选修课真的就像每个人说的那样难吗ײַ
3、as far as I know 据我所知
As far as I know, whether there’ll be such a trip is yet to be decided.
据我所知,是否有这么一趟旅行尚未决定。
As far as I know, he works until midnight every day.
据我所知,他每天都工作到半夜。
4、as well 也
If the weather is this hot tomorrow, we may as well give up the idea of playing tennis outside.
如果明天温度还是这么高,我们也可能放弃到户外进行比赛的主意。
1、as soon as 一……就,尽快
I will do that for you as soon as I have fixed the machine.
一修好机器我就会尽快为你完成那个工作。
6、awfully
非常地,相当地。在口语中用于表程度的比例十分高。
awfully nervous 相当紧张;awfully cold 相当冷;awfully sorry 十分抱歉
Tom looks awfully nervous. 汤姆看上去相当紧张。
I am awfully sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. 十分抱歉。我不想伤害你的。
7、be bound to
肯定,注定
The movie starts in 5 minutes and there’s bound to be a long line.
电影还有5分钟就开始了现在那里肯定排着长队。
8、be tired of
厌烦。当一个人感到厌烦的时候,也是最容易lose one’s temper(生气)的时候。
I’m tired of movies about romantic stories. 我已经彻底厌烦了电影中的浪漫故事。
9、be worn out
1、筋疲力尽,这个表达不太正式,多用于口语。
I’m usually worn out at the end of the day. 在一天快结束时我时常觉得很累。
2、破旧不堪。
My soles were worn out after a long time trip.经过长时间的旅行,我的鞋底已经破旧不堪。
10、better
1、’d better 最好是
I’d better read one of the articles for the class. 我最好还是为上课读篇文章准备一下。
I think you’d better find another partner. 我想你最好还是另找一个搭档吧。
2、make it better 让……更好
I’d rewrite the last two paragraphs to make it better. 我已经重写了最后两段以使它更好。
3、be better 更好些
I told you it would be better for you if you took fewer courses during the first semester.
我告诉过你如果你在第一个学期少选一些课程会比较好一些。